9.02.2008

Addicted to _________

So I was driving around this morning doing errands and thinking, as I often do, about other people's problems. Since we are all connected, the misfortunes of others have some effect on me. Some folks more than others, of course.

Anyway.

This train of thought led me back to an often talked about subject: addiction. If we can be addicted to drugs, alcohol, sex, shopping, food, working out and gambling, why can't we be addicted to people

Take the woman who's been married for 20 years who suddenly gets sucker punched with, "I want a divorce." If that husband has been the woman's addiction for so long, wouldn't it make sense that the healing process might look a lot like recovery? Cravings for his company or to be in his life in some way...all encompassing thoughts that border on obsession at times...the inability to see where he ends and she begins.

This stuff happens all the time! I think we get so carried away with making the other person happy that when the blow is dealt, we don't even know who we are anymore outside the context of the relationship. The good news is that complete recovery is possible (and probable). The bad news is that varying degrees of discomfort will be lurking behind every corner for a while.

What do you think? What are your biggest addictions? I think one biggie for me is thinking. I think way too much and it can interfere with my normal everyday functioning at times. But how do you cut yourself off from thinking?? Ahhh, to be Zen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this is an addiction, but I constantly look backwards in time: how long since this or that happened, by weeks, months, years - silently remarking on anniversaries of personally meaningful days, good or bad.

Not to live in the past, but I know of few people who observe their own life in constant retrospection the way I seem to. :)

Tracey said...

I'm right there with you in the thinking department. I tend to over analyze things. Ok...I analyze them to death. But...it helps...right? LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted to many things, most of them not good. When it comes to people tho, I can live without them.