4.16.2007

Troubled Spirit

I have been uninspired lately. I have also noticed that some of the other bloggers on my blogroll have been lax in posting, too. Maybe it's something in the air.

I have been thinking a lot about organized religion and the angst it can cause some people. A friend of mine, who is a fundamentalist Christian, has been trying to console his friend who has just lost her father. She has been doubting that Jesus is the only way to heaven because her father never was "saved." She doesn't want to believe that her dad went to hell just because he did not pray that special prayer.

I know that some folks get a lot of comfort from the traditions and rituals of organized religion. I also know that the writers of the Bible were human beings, and their documents represent their perception of events. Not to mention that the Bible has been translated and edited thousands of times by thousands of people, mostly changing it to fit the particular needs of the time.

So I am not a good person to come to for guidance on organized religion. My take on it is that if it brings you comfort, then believe it. If it doesn't, then modify your beliefs until you do feel comfortable. And that's where people have the most trouble - a lot of the "rules" of organized religion are not modifiable. Where does that leave the spiritually troubled?

4 comments:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

You don't have to conform to organized religion to be a Christian; but Jesus said, "No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) No one wants to believe that their loved one is not in Heaven, but unless they have accepted Jesus Christ into their heart as their Lord and Savior, then they shall not spend eternity with Him. There's no "rules" - just the simple acceptance of salvation. I don't know what I would say to someone in this situation - but I know that the Bible is the Word of God, and I know the truth. You can't just "modify" the truth because you don't like what it's saying. It is what it is, whether you be Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran.....or even a non-denominational Christian. Or even a non-believer.

StaceyG said...

That's exactly what I mean - the "rules" or "truth" is not modifiable. I just wish I had some inspired advice for this person.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

It is a tough situation, indeed. I don't know what I would say, either.

Anonymous said...

The Bible is considered (at least by us Baptists) the inspired Word of God, not necessarily of human perception. And the bible does say that a person who is not saved goes to hell. I wish it didn't; believe me.

Like Bubba's Sis said, it's not really a matter of organized religion. The Bible also says that believers should have a love for other believers.

- Texas T-bone