3.25.2007

Take My Kid, Please

There's a trend that really annoys me. It's these stickers that people put on the backs of their vehicles stating the name of their child and the team that he/she plays on. Yesterday while walking the dog, I saw one for a certain Boy Scout Troop that had something like "Boy Scout Troop # 123, Pearland, TX, Brandon." So now I know exactly when and where to find Brandon.

What if I am some sicko and I call the troop to find out where the next meeting is and show up and then holler for Brandon? Do you think I'd find him? Same goes for Trixies Dance Studio or Stafford Baseball. To me, it's just an invitation for privacy invasion at the very least - the unthinkable at the most.

I don't know if these stickers have led to any crimes. If you know of any, let me know. I am just curious.

What do you think? Am I blowing this out of proportion?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your point is well taken. But aside from a healthy respect for safety, I wouldn't want to crawl inside a shell.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I don't know if it has led to any crimes, but the thought certainly crossed my mind...

angelq said...

I completely agree. Complete the ensemble with a "My child is an honor roll student at ____ elementary" and I think you're just asking for trouble.

cjm said...

I'm not sure if they have led to any crimes but I know they've talked about it on those weekly news shows (Dateline, etc). You know what kind of car they drive, too. That way you (as the sicko) can say "Mommy's Tahoe broke down and she asked me to come pick you up." Yeah, I don't like them either. The old honor student ones were at least anonymous.

selzach said...

I've wondered the same. I have no idea if they've been linked to any crimes, but I wouldn't want my child's name out in plain view.

I saw a comment on anther blog about the family stickers (mom, dad, kids, pets, etc.) on cars. She was from Mexico and viewed them as advertisements to kidnappers.

Tracey said...

I'm in full agreement with everyone else...may as well put your child on Ebay...good grief.

lattégirl said...

Agreed all around. Thoughtless parenting.