2.21.2009

Dollhouse Episode 2

I think I have figured out why I don't just love Dollhouse. As a late-comer to Whedon's work, I am not that familiar with his choice actors, and thus don't have any previous experience with Eliza Dushku. I haven't had time to catch up with all the old Buffy stuff. So...I find myself not really liking her as an actress. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to realistically portray a "blank slate;" however, the imprints that Echo has had so far seem extremely similar in personality. Perhaps I am not giving Dushku a fair shake and need to see some of her other stuff, but she just seems hollow as an actress. The other Dollhouse characters have so much more depth to them already, even the cheesy Topher.

I'm glad that "the plot thickens" with Episode 2 and am looking forward to future shows. I just hope I can develop some kind of connection to Echo eventually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never thought Eliza had a great deal of range. She's already shown more than she did on Buffy -- but on Buffy, she didn't have to show range, she was perfect for her character.

Concerned whether she can carry a show. Will be very impressed if she can and if Joss can get this show close to the Buffy/Firefly level -- but it's looking doubtful.