1.05.2007

Be Self-ish in 2007

Creechman unwittingly inspired this post - thanks, Creech!

I say - resolve to be self-ish in 2007! The word "selfish" has given "self-care" a bad rap. Dictionary.com defines "selfish" as "devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others." We don't want to be characterized by not caring for others, but do we want to always put others before ourselves?

Many people see people who put others first as "saintly" or "self-sacrificing," like these are inherently good things to be! Even Jesus Christ took the time to be alone with God and replenish himself. There were times when he told the masses to back off - that he needed "me" time (not in those words, I'm sure).

I know that when I put myself first (because the requests of others are rarely that urgent or life-or-death), I feel more replenished and fulfilled. And then when someone else comes along who needs me, I can happily help because "my cup runneth over."

Think about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You only say that because you've been on TV.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

A very good point indeed! We all need "Me Time" and too many of us don't take it (and that is why we all have to take Prozac and drink espressos to keep going every day!). Here's to slowing down and pampering ourselves a bit in 2007!

StaceyG said...

I can't compete with you, Britney!